Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Birth of a Moviebuff - Me

There is a saying in Hindi,  "Honhaar birwaan ke hooth chikne paath", which means 'what you become as an adult can be seen when you are a child' - true in its absolute sense, I could see it coming that I would be a total movie lover when I grow up! How did I know this? Well, born in the decade when Indian markets were being Invaded by Colour TVs and VCRs, movies came home and one didnot have to go to the theatre to watch them. Yes, I am talking of the 80's & 90's. I remember sneaking out of my home to my neighbour's home (who by the way had a VCR and would rent a Hindi movie every day) to watch 'Khudgarz' when I was mearly 6 yrs old :).
Well this not being enough, I also remember my dad taking me to watch 'Baap Numbri beta dus Numbri' on the eve of my exam (Ofcourse I conveniently didn't tell him I had one the next day) and later being beaten by my mom for having skipped studying for the exam. Ah! I was just in 3rd standard then :)
Then was the era of Cable Tv in the mid 90's... Any movie would be illegally played on your local cable channel, the very next day of release. The movie 'junoon' in me grew leaps and bounds. When 'Sarfarosh' was shown on my local cable channel, just a day before my 12th standard board exams, I wished that the paper leaks and exam is postponed so that I can watch it. But when Amma saw me sneaking into the TV, she promptly called the cablewala to have the cable disconnected till exams were over. But this didnot discourage me, I happily went over to my neighbour's place to watch the movie! Ha ha!
To top all this is the next one, where on being refused to issue hall ticket for my 4th semester exams during graduation (I wish to clarify here that it was not issued for the entire class, not me alone) I decided that it was only fair that a bunch of friends went off to see 'Dum Dum Dum' which released that day :)
So after completing my MBA and landing myself in a job that paid me handsomely well, I thought that now is the time when I can watch loads of movie, every week, since I earn. I could never really do it till I quit my job, cos I was always WORKING!!

Now that I am having all the time in the world to do what I like doing the most, which to the shock of everyone in my family, including my husband, is to watch movies, I am doing full justice to it. So I decided to write about my pick on the Best that Indian Cinema has to offer, so that other movie lovers like me, can relish them as well.

Keep watching my blog for the list which would be releasing soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment